Thursday, March 17, 2011

Athlete Q&A: Katrina Mercer

At Sports Fever we’ve always been proud to support the local sporting industry and of course, our local athletes. Katrina Mercer is an elite triathlete and one of the athletes we sponsor.

Katrina was happy to take some time out of her busy training schedule to answer some of our questions.

How did you get into triathlon? 

I started swimming and little athletics when I was in early primary school then began competing in running events through school before following my dad and brother into triathlon when I was 15. From there I competed in National Schools Triathlon Championships & National Cross Country Championships. My parents have always been very fitness focused which lead me on the same path.

What drew you to compete in triathlon? 

Because I had competed in so many different sports when I was young, I found it hard to just focus on one and leave all the others. I was doing well in both swimming and running in high school and decided to give triathlon a go so I could pursue both of them. The challenge of getting all three disciplines going well at once is addictive.

What are your main achievements to date? 
  • Triathlon Western Australia 2010 Open Female Triathlete of the Year 
  • 3rd Professional – Busselton Half Ironman 2010 
  • 8th World Age-Group Champs – Goldcoast 2009 
  • 4th World Age-Group Champs – Vancouver 2008 
  • 1st State Road Run Champs - Perth 2009 
  • 1st State Sprint Triathlon Champs - Rockingham 2008 


Make sure you check back to our blog next week for part 2 of our Q&A where Katrina talks about her nutrition and training routines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment